CARLSBAD, Calif., June 6, 2016 - In pumping surf at Newport Beach's 56th Street, Huntington Surf and Sport (HSS) won the West Regional Qualifier of the Oakley Surf Shop Challenge on Friday afternoon. Fourteen teams from around the Orange County and Los Angeles areas showed up to compete for the title and a trip to the National Championships to compete for an all-expense-paid trip to Oahu, Hawaii's North Shore for the 2016 SURFER Poll Awards.
Defending champions Val Surf faced off against a stacked field of competition. With 8s and 9s being earned, it led to an exciting final seeing Brett Simpson and Brad Ettinger dethrone Val Surf and secure the win for HSS. Huntington Surf and Sport's last regional victory in 2003, sent them on to win the National Championship, with Brad Ettinger on the team.
With Brett Simpson joining CJ Hobgood from Team Quiet Flight on the list of former World Championship Tour surfers set to compete at Nationals, it's building up to be one for the books! HSS is fired up to compete at Lower Trestles on October 6-7th, so expect to see them in the line up until then.
1 - Huntington Surf & Sport (28.96)
2 - Spyder Surf - PCH (26.65)
3 - Jack's - Newport Beach (20.76)
4 - Spyder Surf - Pier Ave (14.46)
5 - Catalyst (12.4)
The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge heads to Hawaii at the Ala Moana Bowls on the South Shore July 7/8 for the seventh and final stop of the Oakley Surf Shop Challenge qualifying series.
The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge schedule:
- March 25 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif. - Winner: Surf Ride
- April 11 - Mid-Atlantic - Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC - Winner: Sweetwater Surf Shop
- April 14 - Northeast - Manasquan Inlet, NJ - Winner: Heritage Surf & Sport
- April 19 - Southeast - Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla. - Winner: Quiet Flight
- May 27 - Northwest - Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif. - Winner: Pacific Wave
- June 3 - West - 56th Street - Newport Beach, Calif. - Winner: Huntington Surf & Sport
- July 7/8 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
- Fall 2016 - National Championship - Southern California