SURFER MAGAZINE'S 2012 OAKLEY SURF SHOP CHALLENGE SERIES KICKS OFF APRIL 6 IN
Local Surf Shops Compete for a Trip to Bali for the $10,000 National Championship
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., March 29, 2012 - SURFER Magazine's 2012 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge kicks off Friday, April 6th with the Southwest regional qualifier at Seaside Reef in Cardiff, Calif. Almost 300 surfers from 70 shops around the United States will compete at seven regional qualifying events vying for a ticket to the eighth and final event, the national championship in Bali, Indonesia in October.
The event series teams surf shop pros and employees into four-man teams pitted against other local shops for a chance to win $10,000, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine and the title of best surf shop in the country. This year each regional qualifier will also earn an expense-paid trip to Bali, Indonesia to compete at the national championship event.
The Southwest regional qualifier, since it's addition in 2010, has been a hotly contested event. Previously, Southern California had only one qualifying region, but this is the third consecutive year where Southern California is divided into two regions with the Southwest including all of San Diego and the West covering Orange County to Los Angeles.
Reigning champs Hansen's Surf Shop from Encinitas has been a top contender with the Southwest title on lockdown for two consecutive years (2010 and 2011) and a National Championship (2007) under their belt. Surf Ride has also been a key team to watch with a Southwest title (2009) and a National Championship (2008). Other top teams include Sun Diego, K5 and Rusty, who all pushed the level of competition in worthy shoulder to head-high conditions in 2011. 2011 Southwest Qualifier Video Highlights
This year will also see the addition of a High School division in the Southwest and West regions allowing the top 10 High School Teams from each region to compete for the honor of regional champion.
The complete list of 2012 invited Southwest teams includes:
- Clairemont Surf Shop, San Diego
- Hanger 94, La Mesa
- Emerald City The Boarding Source, San Diego
- Hansen’s Surf Shop, Encinitas
- Rail II Rail Surf Shop, San Diego
- K-5 Boardshop, Encinitas
- South Coast Surf Shop, Ocean Beach
- Rusty Boardhouse, La Jolla
- Sun Diego Boardshops, Carlsbad
- Sun Diego Boardshops, San Diego
- Surf Ride, Oceanside
- Surf Hut, Imperial Beach
- Mitch's Surf Shop, La Jolla
- Wavelines Surf Shop, San Diego
The complete 2012 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge calendar:
- April 6 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
- April 17-18 - Mid-Atlantic - Kitty Hawk, Outer Banks, NC
- April 19-20 - Northeast - Casino Pier, Seaside Heights, NJ
- June 1 - West - 54th/56th Street - Newport Beach, Calif.
- July 6 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
- Aug. 14-15 - Southeast - New Smyrna Beach Inlet, New Smyrna Beach, Fla.
- Aug. 31 - Northwest - Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Oct. 6-10 - National Championship - Keramas/Canggu, Bali, Indo.
Special thanks to Oakley and other event partners, Muscle Milk, Rusty, Bubble Gum, New Era, Future Fins, Waterman's Applied Science and Mizu for their support, without which the Surf Shop Challenge series would not be possible.