SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., March 28, 2013 - SURFER Magazine's 2013 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge kicks of Friday, April 5th with the Southwest regional qualifier at Seaside Reef in Cardiff, Calif. The seven-event regional qualifying series will make stops in Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Northern California and Hawaii before concluding on June 1st at 54th/56th Street in Newport Beach, Calif. Surf shops from around the United States will compete for an all-expense paid trip-of-a-lifetime to the National Championship in Bali, Indonesia, in conjunction with the inaugural Oakley Pro Bali, with a holding period of June 17-22.
The storied and unique event series pits four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) against each other for a chance to win $10,000, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, and the title of best surf shop in the country. This year marks the second consecutive year for each regional qualifying team to earn an enviable trip to Bali, Indonesia, a major coup in itself, despite the National Championship outcome.
Prior to the Southwest regional qualifier's addition to the schedule in 2010, Southern California shops competed at the West regional qualifier in Newport Beach. But with so many good teams, it was necessary to divide the shops into two regions: Southwest including all of San Diego, and West covering Orange County and Los Angeles.
Last year, Surf Ride (Oceanside) regained the Southwest regional title over defending champs (2007, 2010, 2011) Hansen's Surf Shop (Encinitas). The win wasn't their first, Surf Ride also took the regional title in 2009 and a National Championship in 2008.
This year's invited Southwest teams include:
- Clairemont Surf Shop, San Diego
- Emerald City The Boarding Source, San Diego
- Hanger 94, La Mesa
- Hansen’s Surf Shop, Encinitas
- Mitch's Surf Shop, La Jolla/Solana Beach)
- Pacific Drive, San Diego
- Rail II Rail Surf Shop, San Diego
- Rusty Boardhouse, La Jolla
- South Coast Surf Shop, Ocean Beach
- South Coast Surf Shop, Pacific Beach
- Sun Diego Boardshops, Solana Beach
- Surf Hut, Imperial Beach
- Surf Ride, Oceanside
- Wavelines Surf Shop, San Diego
The Oakley High School Surf Shop Challenge will run April 6th with the top 10 high school teams in the area competing for a regional title, $5,000 ($2,500 for their Athletic Department and $2,500 for their Science Department), and a Spirit Award worth $1,000 (donated to their Associated Student Body fund). Last year, Torrey Pines High School took top honors in the event's inaugural year.
The 10 Southwest invited High School teams include:
1. Carlsbad High School, 2. La Costa Canyon High School, 3. Granite Hills High School, 4. Point Loma High School, 5. Torrey Pines High School, 6. San Dieguito Academy, 7. Canyon Crest High School, 8. Mar Vista High School, 9. Santa Fe Christian High School, and 10. La Jolla High School. For more information, go to surfteamchallenge.com.
The complete 2013 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge and Oakley High School Surf Team Challenge calendar:
- April 5-6 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.*
- April 9-10 - Southeast - Ponce Inlet, Fla.
- April 12-13 - Mid-Atlantic - Kitty Hawk or Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
- April 15-16 - Northeast - Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
- April 19 - Northwest - Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- May 10 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowl, South Shore, Haw.
- May 31-June 1 - West - 54th/56th Street - Newport Beach, Calif.*
- June 17-22 - National Championship - Keramas/Canggu, Bali, Indo.
*Denotes Oakley High School Surf Team Challenge stops
Special thanks to Oakley, SURFER Magazine and other event partners, Bubble Gum Surf Wax, Futures Fins, New Era, SOL REPUBLIC, and Waterman's for their support, without which the Surf Shop Challenge series would not be possible.