SURFER Magazine is pleased to announce the return of the Oakley Surf Shop Challenge in 2017. The regional qualifying series will kick off with the Southwest event on March 24th at Seaside Reef in Cardiff, Calif. Traversing the country, the series will make additional stops in Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Northern California, Southern California and Hawaii looking for the best surf shop teams to represent their region in the National Championship this fall.
The unique event series, which has been running since the 1980s, pits four-man surf shop teams (two sponsored surfers and two shop employees) against each other. The winning team from each of the seven regional qualifiers will win an all-expense-paid trip to compete in the National Championship for a cash prize package and title of America's Most Core Surf Shop.
The first stop in Cardiff is always a serious battle with some of San Diego County's best surfers showing up to compete. The forecast is calling for swell from the SSW and WNW for Friday in the three-to-five-foot range (chest to head high) with clean conditions in the AM and moderate onshore in the afternoon. This year, look for the following shops:
· Asylum Board Shops, Oceanside
· Billabong, Pacific Beach
· Clairemont Surf Shop, San Diego
· Emerald City The Boarding Source, San Diego
· Hanger 94, La Mesa
· Hansen’s Surf Shop, Encinitas
· Pacific Drive Skateboard Shop, San Diego
· Rip Curl, Pacific Bach
· Rusty Boardhouse, Del Mar
· Rusty Boardhouse, La Jolla
· South Coast Surf Shop, Ocean Beach
· South Coast Surf Shop, Pacific Beach
· Sun Diego Boardshops, Carlsbad
· Surf Ride, Oceanside
· Surf Ride, Solana Beach
· The Surf Hut, Imperial Beach
· Wavelines, San Diego
The 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge schedule:
· March 24 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
· April 6/7/8 - Southeast - Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla.
· April 10/11/12 - Mid-Atlantic - Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
· April 12/1314 - Northeast - Manasquan Inlet, NJ
· May 25/26 - Northwest - Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif.
· June 9 - West - 54th or 56th Street - Newport Beach, Calif.
· July 10/11 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
· Fall 2017 - National Championship - TBD
For all of the latest information including photos, video footage, results and more, check out surfshopchallenge.com.
Special thanks to Oakley, SURFER and event partners, Leus, Aluminati Skateboards and FCS for their support, without which the Surf Shop Challenge series would not be possible.