SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., March 6, 2014 --The Oakley Surf Shop Challenge is back with an all-expense-paid trip to the National Championship in Central America on the line. Kicking off on March 28th at Seaside Reef in Cardiff, Calif., the series will traverse the nation collecting regional qualifier winners from Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Hawaii and Orange County, Calif., before concluding on July 23rd/24th at Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz, Calif.
For the past two years, regional qualifiers earned a trip to Bali, Indonesia, where Sunrise Surf Shop bettered their runner-up finish from 2012 by earning the National Championship title in 2013. But this year marks a change in the National Championship venue and a whole new adventure awaits in Central America for the seven regional qualifying teams.The unique event series pits four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) against each other for a chance to win an all-expense-paid trip to the National Championship, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, and the coveted title and bragging rights of best surf shop in the country.
The 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge calendar:
* March 28 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
* April 8/9 – Southeast – Ponce Inlet, Fla.
* April 11/12 – Mid-Atlantic – Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
* April 14/15 – Northeast – Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
* May 15/16 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
* May 30 – West – 54th or 56th Street – Newport Beach, Calif.
* July 23/24 – Northwest – Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
* TBD – National Championship – Central America