The 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge Southeast regional qualifier has been called on for Thursday, April 6th at Paradise Beach Park in Melbourne, Florida. Florida-area shop team will compete for the chance to represent their region against six other regional qualifiers from Southern California, North Carolina, New Jersey, Northern California, and Hawaii at the National Championships this fall.
The contest is scheduled to run from 8 am to noon with forecasters predicting the best waves in the morning, two-to-three feet waist high NE and S/SE windswell mix, and declining throughout the day. Also expect windy onshore conditions in the early am, and then windy offshore conditions once the front moves through at some point late morning or early afternoon.
The unique event series, which has been running since the 1980s, pits four-man surf shop teams (two sponsored surfers and two shop employees) against each other. The winning team from each of the seven regional qualifiers will win an all-expense-paid trip to compete in the National Championship for a cash prize package and title of America's Most Core Surf Shop.
The Southeast stop has historically been dominated by Sunrise, but last year Quiet Flight stepped in and snagged the title after a seven year run from Sunrise. This year should be interesting. The following shops are confirmed to compete:
- Aqua East Surf Shop
- Rip Curl New Smyrna
- Island Water Sports
- Maui Nix
- Quiet Flight Surfboards
- Red Dog Surf Shop
- Sunrise Surf Shop
- Surf Central
- Catalyst Surf Shop
The 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge schedule:
- March 24 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif. – SUN DIEGO
- April 6 – Southeast – Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla.
- April 10/11/12 – Mid-Atlantic – Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
- April 12/1314 – Northeast – Casino Pier, Seaside Heights, NJ
- May 25/26 – Northwest – Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- June 9 – West – 54th or 56th Street – Newport Beach, Calif.
- July 10/11 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
- Fall 2017 – National Championship – TBD