SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., Aug. 21, 2014 – SURFER Magazine's 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge will hit Santa Cruz's Steamer Lane next week on either Aug. 27th or 28th depending on optimal conditions.The Northwest stop on the 2014 regional qualifying series was originally scheduled for July, but was postponed due to uncontestable conditions.
Santa Cruz will be the final event before all seven regional champs take off on an all-expense paid adventure to Central America for the National Championship.
Four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) will be competing for a chance to win the trip, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, and the coveted title and bragging rights of best surf shop in the country.
Last year, Santa Barbara underdog Channel Islands Surf Shop hijacked the Northwest victory from a dominant local Santa Cruz force. The win earned Channel Islands a trip to the National Championship in Bali, but the Santa Cruz shops, including last year's finalists O'Neill and Pacific Wave, will be back on the hunt for redemption this year.
2014 Invited Northwest Teams:
· Alliance Board Company
· Billabong Santa Cruz
· Channel Islands Surf Shop
· Freeline Design Surf Shop
· Mavericks Surf Shop
· Norcal Surf Shop
· O'Neill Surf Shop
· On the Beach Surf Shop
· One Way Boardshop
· Oregon Surf Shop
· Pacific Wave
· Pancho’s Surf Shop
· Proof Lab Surf Shop
· Revolution Surf Company
· Rincon Designs Surf Shop
· Sundance Beach
· Sunshine Freestyle
· The Beachhouse
The complete 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge calendar:
· March 28-29 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
· April 11 – Mid-Atlantic – Kitty Hawk, Outer Banks, NC
· April 14 – Northeast – Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
· May 2 – West – San Clemente, Calif.
· May 16 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
· August 12 – Southeast – Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, Fla.
· August 27/28 – Northwest – Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
· October 13-18 – National Championship – Central America
Special thanks to title sponsor Oakley, media sponsor SURFER Magazine and co-sponsors New Era, Futures Fins, Watermans Sunscreen and Banzai Bowls, without which the Surf Shop Challenge series would not be possible.