The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge lands at Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif. this Friday, May 27th for the Northwest stop of the seven-event regional qualifying series. Northern California-area surf shops will compete for the opportunity to represent their region against six other regional finalists from North Carolina, New Jersey, Southern California, Florida and Hawaii. Oakley Surf Shop Challenge Official Forecaster Surfline.com predicts two-to-three-foot, small but contestable, surf throughout the day.
The unique event series pits four-man surf shop teams (two shop pros and two shop employees) against one other. The winning team from each of the seven regional qualifiers will win an all-expense-paid trip to Southern California to compete in the National Championship for a $5,000 prize purse, grand prize trip to the 2016 SURFER Poll at Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Hawaii and title of America's Most Core Surf Shop.
When the event last took place in Santa Cruz in 2014, Pacific Wave took the title. This year's invited Northwest teams include:
- Alliance Board Company
- Surf-n-Wear's Beach House
- Channel Islands Surf Shop
- Freeline Design Surf Shop
- Mavericks Surf Shop
- Moondoggies Beach Club
- NC Boardshop
- Norcal Surf Shop
- O'Neill Surf Shop
- On the Beach Surf Shop
- One Way Boardshop
- Pacific Wave
- Pancho’s Surf Shop
- Proof Lab Surf Shop
- Rincon Designs Surf Shop
- Rip Curl: Santa Cruz
- Rip Curl: Ventura
- Santa Cruz Billabong Surf Shop
- Sunshine Freestyle
The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge schedule:
- March 25 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif. - Winner: Surf Ride
- April 11 - Mid-Atlantic - Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC - Winner: Sweetwater Surf Shop
- April 14 - Northeast - Manasquan Inlet, NJ - Winner: Heritage Surf & Sport
- April 19 - Southeast - Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla. - Winner: Quiet Flight
- May 27 - Northwest - Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- June 3 - West - 54th or 56th Street - Newport Beach, Calif.
- July 7/8 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
- Fall 2016 - National Championship - Southern California