It's official - the 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge National Championship will return to Mark and Dave's at Playa Colorados in Rivas, Nicaragua, October 23-27, 2017. Seven teams have earned an expense-paid journey and a week off of work to travel to the world-class Central American surfing destination for the chance at earning the coveted title of America's Most Core Surf Shop.
Huntington Surf & Sport are the reigning 2016 National Champions after beating out Surf Ride, Pacific Wave and Quiet Flight at Lower Trestles, San Clemente, California. When the contest was last held in Nicaragua in 2014, Sunrise claimed the National Champion title, overcoming Sweetwater, Surf Ride and T & C.
This year will see Sun Diego (Southwest), Sunrise (Southeast), 7th Street Surf Shop (Northeast), Pacific Wave (Northwest), Huntington Surf & Sport (West), T&C (Hawaii), and Sweetwater (Mid-Atlantic) going head to head. Sunrise, Surf Ride, Sweetwater and HSS all have National Championship wins under their belt. 7th Street, Pacific Wave and T&C have all made it to the National Championships and are hungry for the big win, so it's sure to be anyone's game.
The event series pits four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) against each other for a chance to win an all-expense-paid trip to the National Championship via seven Regional Qualifiers. This year marks the second year in Nicaragua. Prior to the move to Central America, the National Championship was held in Bali for two years and the classic California beach break shores of Huntington Beach prior to that as well as in 2016.
The 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge Schedule:
- March 24 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif. (Sun Diego)
- April 6 - Southeast - Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla. (Sunrise)
- April 11 - Northeast - Belmar, NJ (7th Street Surf Shop)
- May 25 - Northwest - Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif. (Pacific Wave)
- June 9 - West - 54th Street - Newport Beach, Calif. (Huntington Surf & Sport)
- July 10 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw. (T&C)
- Aug. 16 (rescheduled) – Mid-Atlantic - Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC (Sweetwater)
- Oct 23-27 - National Championship - Mark & Dave's, Playa Colorados, Rivas, Nicaragua