CARLSBAD, Calif., Aug. 18, 2017 – On a hot and humid summer day on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, eight surf shop teams converged at Jennette's Pier in Nags Head for the second attempt to run the Mid-Atlantic Oakley Surf Shop Challenge. The Mid-Atlantic event was rescheduled back in April due to lack of swell, but a three-to-four- foot fading ESE swell from tropical storm Gert proved to be promising the second time around.
Heat 1 saw Outer Banks local Jesse Hines push Outer Banks Boarding Co into the lead with a double whammy 8.6 and 17th Street's Bo Raynor whammy an 8.2. Sweetwater came out swinging in Heat 2, posting a Round One heat high of 31.6.
The final consisted of Sweetwater Surf Shop, Outer Banks Boarding Co, 17th Street and Whalebone Surf Shop. 17th Street gave Sweetwater a run for their money posting a 30.14, but in the end Sweetwater put up a 33.77 and won their fourth consecutive Mid-Atlantic title.
"The final was pretty suspenseful because the 17th Street team had really good scores, but luckily Dylan (Kowalski) came through with a sick whammy score," said Sweetater's Justin Parr. "We're all really excited to go to Nationals!"
Sweetwater was the last team to book their ticket to Nationals, joining Sun Diego Surf Shop (SW), Sunrise Surf Shop (SE), 7th Street Surf Shop (NE), Pacific Wave (NW), Hunting Surf and Sport (W) and T&C (HI).
1st: Sweetwater Surf Shop – 33.77 points
2nd: 17th Street Surf Shop – 30.14 points
3rd: Outer Banks Boarding Co – 24.6 points
4th: Whalebone Surf Shop – 20.93 points
The 2017 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge Schedule:
- March 24 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif. (Sun Diego)
- April 6 – Southeast – Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla. (Sunrise)
- April 11 – Northeast – Belmar, NJ (7th Street Surf Shop)
- May 25 – Northwest – Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif. (Pacific Wave)
- June 9 – West – 54th Street – Newport Beach, Calif. (Huntington Surf & Sport)
- July 10 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw. (T&C)
- 16 (rescheduled) – Mid-Atlantic – Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC (Sweetwater)
- Fall 2017 – National Championship – Information Coming Soon!