SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., May 13, 2014 - SURFER Magazine's 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge hits Hawaii this Friday, May 16 at the Ala Moana Bowls on the South Shore of O'ahu. The regional qualifying series has nearly completed its 2014 mission with four events complete and only three to go before the seven regional champs take off on an all-expense paid adventure to Central America for the National Championship.
Four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) will be competing for a chance to win the trip, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, and the coveted title and bragging rights of best surf shop in the country.
Last year, Hawaiian Island Creations battled not only a stacked field of competitors, but the small inconsistent surf to come up with the win. Pipe Dreams Surf Co. also had a strong showing taking second place with newcomer Drift Surf taking third and five-time champions Town & Country Hawaii coming in a disappointing fourth.
2014 Invited Hawaii Teams:
Tamba Surf Company
Town & Country Hawaii
Drift Surf Hawaii
The complete 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge calendar:
- March 28-29 - Southwest - Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
- April 11 - Mid-Atlantic - Kitty Hawk, Outer Banks, NC
- April 14 - Northeast - Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
- May 2 - West - San Clemente, Calif.
- May 16 - Hawaii - Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
- July 23/24 - Northwest - Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- August 11-12 - Southeast - Ponce Inlet, Fla.
- TBA - National Championship - Central America